Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Beginning of the End?

My boyfriend Scott and I are seriously considering leaving the DC area in the near future for many reasons. We've been here for almost three years and we've accomplished our primary objective for living in DC- me completing my Master's. Since completing my MA last May, both of us find ourselves in jobs that are less than desirable, jobs that we feel we could find back home. I miss New England more than I ever thought I would, though that's not to say that I am homesick. Rather, I am coming to appreciate the virtues of what New England has to offer. That said, we will likely be leaving DC in the not-so-distant future, which could mean when our lease expires in September or renewing our lease for another year and moving next Fall.

The prospect of leaving DC has had me thinking of all of the things that I have wanted to do in this area but haven't gotten around to doing yet. I've created my own DC "Bucket List" (I don't particularly care for that term since such lists existed before that movie came out but now I can't even think of another name for them!). Since its creation, the list seems to be getting longer rather than shorter, but I have been crossing some items off the list and have decided to post them here as I complete them. Without further adieu, item #1:

1. Buy food from a food truck in DC.

Like many big cities in the US, DC has a fleet of food trucks offering various cuisines. Obviously, food trucks are not something that I have ever seen in Northern New England. These food trucks are typically located in the middle of the city, however, I lucked out last week as the DC Bocce League arranged for different food trucks to come as part of Bocce week to the different divisions/locations/nights. Ironically enough the truck that came to our night, Dupont Division, was the Red Hook Lobster Pound. Not only did they carry both Maine-style (with mayo) and CT-style (with butter) lobster rolls, but they also had Cape Cod Potato Chips (<3), whoopie pies (a New England dessert staple), and a soda fountain with all Maine Root sodas (I love the root beer and blueberry!). I was not disappointed! I would definitely recommend seeking out the Red Hook food truck for those seeking a good lobster roll in DC. Admittedly though, that made me a little homesick.



No comments:

Post a Comment